Joshi Internal Medicine is currently working toward Patient-Centered Medical Home Recognition. According to the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), a Primary Care Medical Home (PCMH) practice inspires quality in care, cultivates more engaging patient relationships, and captures savings through expanded access and delivery options that align patient preferences with payer and provider capabilities.
Joshi Internal Medicine has implemented several quality improvement projects throughout 2016 and 2017. The practice worked to improve in the following areas:
- Decrease in number of patients in need of a Prevnar vaccination – improved scores by almost 8%.
- Decrease in number of patients in need of a Pneumovax vaccination – improved scores by 3%
- Focus on ensuring that all diabetic patients have an A1C < 8. The practice is below the national benchmark at 17.63% compliance – well below goal of 30% compliance.
- Focus on women scheduling their mammograms – improved percentage of patients needing mammograms by 7.5%.
- Focus on decreasing hypertension in diabetic patients 60+
- Focus on getting patients in for their Medicare Annual Wellness Visit with a goal of 85% receiving the service by end of year – improved percentage of patients needing Annual Wellness Exams by 24%!
- Focused on kidney function testing for diabetic patients – improved percentage of patients needing microalbumins by 20%.
- Focused on cost reduction, by making generic medications available to patients
- Opened up daily same day appointment slots, to allow patients to get appointments in a timely manner, as well as extended office hours.
- Implemented a Care Coordination department staffed with nurses and a clinical team. Their role is to reach out to patients by phone in-between their visits to the office, working with patients to help them meet their health goals (lowering blood pressure, lowering blood sugar, increasing exercise, weight loss, etc.).
- Conducted patient satisfaction surveys to learn best what patients would like to see improved within the practice.
Joshi Internal Medicine
276 Old Mocksville Road Suite 105
Statesville, NC 28625
The post Joshi Internal Medicine Works Toward Patient-Centered Medical Home Recognition appeared first on Piedmont HealthCare.